Child Care

Ridley & Hall’s Child Care team has a local and a national reputation for its work in the complex field of child care law.

Questions relating to parental rights, children’s rights and local authority obligations arise in the majority of the cases that we handle. We are aware that many parents do not receive the basic assistance to which they are entitled, yet these same parents’ abilities are often called into question.

Equally, we will fight vigorously for the rights of children whatever their circumstances.

Increasingly, grandparents and other relatives and friends are playing a vital role in the life of children. Many are prepared to put themselves selves forward as carers for a child who has been removed by the local authority from the parents care. It is vital that these kinship carers voice is heard.

We are specialists in representing kinship carers in care proceedings. We understand the importance of fighting for the right order to be made if the child is to be placed with family or friends.

We have represented families across the country in care proceedings. Distance is not an issue. Getting the right results for carers is the most important consideration so that both the child and the carers are supported.

We have strong links with Family Rights Group, the Grandparents Association and a number of other local and national support organisations.

Children and families faced with care proceedings have often been let down over education provision and support from the local authority. Ridley & Hall, unusually for a firm of solicitors, offers a multidisciplinary approach. Nigel works closely with Ridley & Hall’s Community Care team to ensure that all the needs of children and their families are met. This approach means that in Huddersfield and West Yorkshire we provide a unique service.

People who are involved in care proceedings, including parents and people with parental responsibility, can get public funding (legal aid) to pay their solicitor’s fees. You can get this however much income or capital you have.