Remedies in Financial Abuse Cases

The remedies include:

A. Powers of the Court of Protection in Relation to Financial Abuse
If the victim lacks mental capacity, then the Court of Protection has wide powers to deal with financial abuse. The Court can make an order in respect of a decision which the victim of abuse could make themselves, but for their mental incapacity.

This could include;

(a) an order prohibiting a specified person from having contact with the victim;
(b) an order enabling another person to bring court proceedings on behalf of the victim to recover the money and;
(c) an order appointing a deputy.

The High Court can also make freezing orders in relation to the victim’s accounts and property to prevent further disposal and make search orders in relation to the perpetrator’s property whilst investigations are ongoing.

B. Criminal Actions
If you report your suspicions to the police and they investigate, the alleged perpetrator(s) may be charged with a criminal offence if the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) decides to prosecute.

The perpetrator(s) may also be prosecuted under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002, which may result in orders for the property to be returned to the victim.

C. County Court Claims

Proceedings can either be brought by the victim (if they have mental capacity) or by someone on their behalf if they do not (known as a Litigation Friend). If the victim lacks capacity, an order must be made by the Court of Protection enabling someone to issue court proceedings for recovery on behalf of the abused person.

Applications can be made to the court for recovery of funds and/or the setting aside of transfers of an asset which have been conducted under undue influence, duress or fraud.

There are two types of undue influence; actual and presumed undue influence.

Learn about the types of undue influence : When is a gift not a gift? Undue Influence…

After death
Unfortunately, a relative may only uncover transactions which raise suspicions after the death of a relative, during the administration of the estate.

There is a distinction between undue influence in relation to testamentary gifts (who receives what under the deceased’s Will) and undue influence in relation to lifetime gifts (gifts the deceased made before their death)

When considering lifetime gifts made by the deceased before their death, again the key issues are actual undue influence and presumed undue influence; When is a gift not a gift? Undue Influence…

The difficulty in these cases can be obtaining evidence. It will almost always be necessary to obtain bank statements, GP and hospital records and witness statements from friends and family members.

Sarah Young 1

Sarah Young is an expert on dealing with all kinds of inheritance disputes, including undue influence cases.

Sarah will handle your case with sensitivity.

For more information please call 0843 289 4640 or e-mail Sarah.